Saturday, May 18, 2013

Evidentia Export to Family Tree Maker by a GEDCOM file

GPS, Assertions, Conclusions, Analysis are terms that I have been struggling with in doing my family research. Earlier this year, a new software program was made available, Evidentia. This is a link for more information about the program: http://evidentia.ed4becky.net/

I have blogged about Evidentia on another blog that I have where I have talked about this program.

https://worthy2be.wordpress.com/tag/evidentia/

Early on, there was talk about the Import and Export of a GEDCOM with that program. With all of the issues surrounding GEDCOM, I put that feature out of my thought process as I learned and have started to use this new program.

A couple of days ago, the program had an update, where the Exporting of a GEDCOM was made available.

Here is a link on how it works, Exporting FROM Evidentia.

Some terms need to be mentioned here that may be unfamiliar to some. I was one of those before Evidentia. The term CLAIM is like a Fact in Family Tree Maker. You start data entry from a Source and that Source Claims some pieced of information, like the birth or age of a person. In FTM2012, we might enter that as a Birth Fact, and attach a Citation to it.

In Evidentia, you document the Claims that the source is presenting and a citation will be generated. In fact, you create a Source, choose a Source Template, like a Template in Family Tree Maker, and a Citation is created for the CLAIMs that you gather from that source.

What Evidentia does, is to walk you though the Analysis of that Claim, then after you have other claims from other sources, you create a Proof Conclusion. You get to this Export feature from the Reports Menu in Evidentia.

In Evidentia, there are several options to choose from, when creating a GEDCOM file.




Export Claim Analysis to:
  • Citation Note
  • Citation Data
  • Event/Fact Note
  • Separate Event/Fact per Claim
  • Person Note
Export Proof Conclusion to:

  • Event/Fact Note
  • Person Note
  • Master Note
The Subject or Person is selected and Only the chosen subject, with associated claims and sources, will be exported. That is clearly stated on the above screen.

There is also an important note at the bottom of that screen;
Evidentia makes a best effort to target the GEDCOM field that will result in the requested field location when it is imported. However, where the field is imported is ultimately at the discretion of the program you are importing into.

So, what does that mean to Family Tree Maker. The Claim Analysis is pretty clear. Remember that Evidentia walks you through where to enter your Analysis of each Claim. That information can go into the Citation Notes (FTM2012 - Source Workspace, selected Source and Citation, Notes tab); Citation Data (FTM2012 - in the Citation Text); Fact Note (FTM2012 - People Workspace, Person View, Fact Note tab); Separate Fact per Claim (FTM2012 - each fact would be an Alt Fact (another fact); Person Note (FTM2012 - People Workspace, Person vie, Notes)

5 Options on where to put the Claim Analysis.


The Proof Conclusions also have options. In the Fact Note, and it would be with the Claim Analysis, the Person Note would be the Research Note in FTM2012, or the Master Note, the Person Note field.

3 Option on where to put the Proof Conclusions.

Several options, I didn't care for, just by the description and how I enter my data, but the one I liked the best was

Event/Fact Note for the Claim Analysis and the Person Note or Research Notes for that person.

Below you see the Birth Fact is highlighted and that there is a 1 in the 3rd column of numbers, or the Fact Notes tab. What is in that right column is the Birth Claim Analysis.



The Proof Conclusion, is in the Research Notes for that Person.

In the above example, there is only one Fact (Claim) that has been analyzed and only one Proof Conclusion for that person.

So in the Research Log, you would see all of the Proof Conclusions for each Fact that has been analyzed.

On the data entry side, this looks OK for me. But, I don't make a decision only on the input side of Family Tree Maker. I want to see what it will look like, IF I were to share my results, including my analysis.

To the Publish Workspace, and for this example I want to view my claims about the Person, so the Person Reports and Individual Report is selected. Selecting the Items to include (Right Panel, first ICON on the Left) I make the following choices.



Include the Person Notes, Fact Notes, and Research Notes.

The report that is generated shows the Proof Statement under Research Notes, right at the top of the Notes, followed by the Fact Notes. In this case, there are no Person notes.


I would use this report to help prove who this person was and how I came to that conclusion

There are at least 15 options given to us on Importing into Family Tree Maker. I have looked at the other options, and this one will work for me, for now.

There will probably be additional blog posts on Evidentia, as I am only learning about how to use it and how to import it, with only a couple of test cases. I am guessing that there are a number of things to take into consideration on it's use.

This whole process of handling data for me file. It's more then recording the data I find, but that evaluation of that information can be done and imported into Family Tree Maker.

Am I going to update my whole file? Probably not, but I AM starting with my Brick Walls. I already have an Evidentia file on my "brick wall". That is, Who are Capt John's Parents.


Here is a link to a list of Evidentia Resources that I have found.

https://worthy2be.wordpress.com/2013/05/15/evidentia-reference-listing/

Another software program that is now in my Genealogy Research Tool Box.
_______________________________________________________________

Copyright © 2013 by H R Worthington

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post your comments here

Print Friendly